Welcome to NBU
When you come to NBU you join a young but flourishing academic community, which values diversity. If you are a critically thinking and open-minded person, if you want to take the responsibility for the important decisions in your life – you are welcome to our academic society, where we could exchange ideas and learn from each other.
Assoc. Prof. Ljudmil Georgiev, Ph.D.
About New Bulgarian University
As a result of extensive contracts with foreign academic institutions, NBU has developed a wide range of joint programs and courses, including exchange projects for students and scholars.
NBU is the exclusive representative of the Open University for Bulgaria.
- NBU is a full member of Francophone University Agency AUF. A Francophone Unit has been established within the University offering a BA Program in Political Sciences taught in French. Membership in AUF enables students and lecturers to attend numerous academic events organized by this network as well as to improve their qualification.
- NBU is an active player in the EU programs. Through projects funded by LIFE LONG LEARNING Program (Erasmus, Leonardo da Vinci, Grundtvig, Comenius, Jean Monnet), TEMPUS IV, ERASMUS-MUNDUS, FRANCOPHONE UNIVERSITY AGENCY, PHARE, CEEPUS, etc. we have developed contacts with more than 90 European universities.
- HESP /Higher Education Support Program/ gives NBU the opportunity to participate in establishing an inter-university network for Central and East European countries and the former Soviet Republics. It helps NBU conduct various educational and scientific activities such as joint projects, exchange of students, lecturers and administration staff; provision of scholarships.
- Departments of NBU are members of a number of international organizations: the International Association of Semiotic Studies (IASS), the International Institute of Administrative Sciences, the Network of Institutes and Schools on Public Administration in Central and Eastern Europe (NISPAcee), Regional Study Association (RSA), European Consortium for Political Studies, the Informal European Theatre Meeting (IETM), the European Association of Students in Theatre (EAST), the European League of Institutes of Arts (ELIA), the International Liaison Centre of the TV and Film Schools (CILECT).
- NBU has introduced the practice of establishing international Advisory Boards. These boards review NBU programs and ensure their international recognition. Members of these committees are Bulgarian and foreign scholars, who teach at NBU, deliver seminars and create opportunities for internship abroad.
- Since 2000 NBU has started campaigns for the recruitment of international students. More than 100 students are admitted each year for undergraduate and graduate studies. We are supported by our official Representatives in Turkey, Israel, India, China, Cyprus etc.
Departments and Research
The Departments bring together scholars in a specific field. They are the cross-roads of research activities in the University; creating original programs and courses; experimenting with new educational methods; launching research projects; organizing conferences and seminars; communicating with national and international education institutions; developing international projects.
One of the NBU research policy priorities is to establish NBU as an international research center and integrate it into international university networks. Specialized research laboratories and studios provide support to faculty members in developing competitive and important projects. Over the last years NBU has won many international projects including projects financed under, EU Sixth Framework Program, EU Seventh Framework Program NATO Science Program, European Science Foundation, Open Society Institute, Research Program of GDN, USA etc.
NBU aims to integrate its research and educational activities and to develop research skills in its students, through participating in the research work conducted by faculty members.
More information about the research activities at NBU you could find on:
NBU DEPARTMENTS and CENTERS